• All Historical Sites & Tours

    • Historical Scavenger Hunt

      Historical Scavenger Hunt This short walk, meanders through Mainstreet in Historic District of Downtown Campbellsville with stops at some of the city’s oldest and most historic sites. Historical Scavenger Hunt

    • Campbellsville Historic Sites Walking/Driving Tour

      Campbellsville Historic Sites Walking/Driving Tour Pick up the Campbellsville Historic Sites booklet and let it guide you to over 40 historic sites in Downtown Campbellsville and Taylor County! The booklet also tells a small piece of history of each building. Go inside, meet the owners and learn more about our historic town! The Historic booklets can be found in the Tourism office, Chamber office and many of the businesses on Mainstreet. History of Campbellsville Taylor County, located in south-central Kentucky, was the 100th county to be formed in 1848.  Surrounded by Green, Larue, Marion, Casey, and Adair counties, it covers 284 square miles and was named for Zachary Taylor, Mexican War hero and later 12th President of the United States. The City of Campbellsville, which is the county seat, is located 80 miles from Lexington, Louisville, Frankfort, and Bowling Green. It was established by the Kentucky General Assembly in 1817. Campbellsville was named for Andrew Campbell who made the first town plat.  He was one of five brothers who migrated here from Augusta County, Virginia. The town plat, registered in the Green County records in 1820, contained 85 lots and a public square where a courthouse was later built. The first school was established in 1836 when Adam Campbell sold land on Buckhorn Creek. In the 1830s, Campbellsville served as a stagecoach stop on the National Mail Route between Zanesville, Ohio, and Florence, Alabama. The stage lines connecting Lebanon, Campbellsville, Columbia and Greensburg became feeder lines to the railroad when it came to Lebanon in the 1850s.  After a rail spur between Lebanon and Greensburg was opened by the Cumberland & Ohio Railroad in 1879, Campbellsville entered a new era of development. By 1890, the population reached 1,018. By 1892, a flour mill, saw mill, and a woolen and carding read more

    • Scenic Barn Quilt DrivingTour

      Scenic Barn Quilt Driving Tour Explore the beauty of Taylor County while admiring the work of our local artisans on the Scenic Barn Quilt Driving Tour! There is a quality about quilts that evokes a feeling of comfort of home and family. Quilting is a tradition that thrives in Kentucky.  The Quilt Trail project began in Adams County, Ohio, when Donna Sue Groves, decided that she wanted a quilt square painted on her barn to honor her mother, a life long quilter. Donna Sue shared her idea with friends in the community, who offered their help. They decided that if they were going to paint one quilt square on a barn, they might as well paint twenty and create a driving tour to attract tourists to their rural community. The project was such a success that word of it traveled quickly, and soon other communities were contacting Donna Sue asking if they could join in the project. Donna Sue offered her enthusiastic support. The Quilt Trail project has taken deep root in Kentucky and spread quickly. The first square in Kentucky was painted and hung in Carter County by local volunteers with support from the Gateway Resource Conservation and Development Council. The project has spread as a grassroots movement with each community introducing its own twist, painting quilt squares not only on barns, but also on floodwalls, craft shops and restaurants. The quilts on the Taylor County Quilt Trail are painted by members of the community, including students from Taylor County High School.  These quilts honor our wonderful heritage of family, farming and of course, quilting. The Cathedral Window Quilt pattern is one of the thirteen barn quilts in Taylor County and it is gorgeous!  It’s a beautiful quilt styles that captures the inspiration of a beautiful church window and allow us read more

    • Clay Hill Memorial Forest

      Clay Hill Memorial Forest Clay Hill Memorial Forest is full of history, education and serene interpretive hiking trails! Clay Hill Memorial Forest was once part of Clay Hill Farm which was home for many servants whose labors enabled the farm to grow from 300 to more than 4,000 acres in the early 1800’s. During the Civil War it was at times used as refuge for John Hunt Morgan. It is is now a regional center for environmental education and research dedicated to helping people find comfort in nature. The Center, managed by Campbellsville University, brings excellence in science education to the people of the Commonwealth through an amazing array of displays: an alternative energy building, a center for sight-impaired children, a “living wall”, a waste-water purification wetland circuit, a slave cabin & cemetery, a natural cob bench, a pond observation deck & boardwalk, and five miles of trails that are a bird watchers delight. Facility Clay Hill Memorial Forest consists of about 158 acres. Oak and hickory dominate on the drier upland sites. American beech and maple dominate on wetter sites. The forest is accessible by 5-miles of trails that vary in grade from gentle to difficult and in length from 1-3 miles. Facilities include a small arboretum with identified trees and a trail that teaches students about ecological succession. There are several springs, two small streams and an old pond with an observation pier. In addition to forests, there is a tall grass prairie, prairie wildflowers and a walnut tree plantation. The Joan White Howell Environmental Education Center and pavilion are our main teaching facilities. The Center is a fully equipped classroom/laboratory suitable for about 25 students. The center houses a 250-gallon aquarium, a tropical butterfly display, modern classroom equipment including computers, high speed internet, a full array of field equipment, read more

    • Homeplace on Green River

      Homeplace on Green River The Homeplace on Green River is a 227 acre farm being restored as a permanent reminder for all ages of the role agriculture has played and is continuing to play in the lives of South Central Kentuckians. It has been a working farm for more than 200 years and is listed the National Register of Historic Places. The Homeplace on Green River is adjacent to the Tebbs Bend Battlefield and the Tebbs Bend-Green River Nature Area. Trails Take the walking tour to learn about the farm and the families who lived there or call to schedule a guided tour. A trailhead to the Tebbs Bend Green River Nature Trail is also located at the Homeplace where you can enjoy 4 ½ miles of nature trails. Trail Maps Homeplace on Green River/Tebbs Bend Green River Nature Area Trail Map Trail Maps for Campbellsville, Green River Lake & Taylor County Events The Fall Heritage Festival is a great event that takes place every September at the Homeplace. There’s music, arts & crafts, animals, kid events and more! Homeplace on Green River hosted their very first Plow Day Spring Festival in April of 2016. The event was such a success, it will now continue annually in April. Groups Homeplace on Green River has been designated as Kentucky’s Outdoor Classroom and welcomes use of the facilities by to schools, scouts, etc.  There is a fee for use by private groups or organizations.  Non-profit groups may be eligible for free or reduced fees. Farm Weddings Homeplace began offering the farm as a wedding venue in June, 2012. If you wish to know more about weddings at Homeplace, contact the Homeplace events coordinator, Suzanne Ince at since81@icloud.com

    • Friendship School House

      Friendship School House The one-room Friendship School house is a museum that represents a by-gone era of education.  The Friendship School was built in Taylor County about 1918 by residents of the Bengal community. It was located on the farm of Theodore and Ellen Cowherd approximately 8 miles from its present location. According to Mr. Cowherd who attended Friendship from the first through the eighth grades, two students would sit together at one desk, called a “double-seater.” He recalled attending school from eight to four with the school term running from July through December. At different periods of its existence the class size may have varied from as small as eight to as large as forty students. The Friendship School house now is both a museum and a classroom. It is part of our heritage that will become an important part of our present as well as our future. The Friendship School House is located behind the Taylor County High School. All visitors are welcome and encouraged to visit, please call for an appointment.

    • Atkinson-Griffin House Museum

      Atkinson-Griffin House Museum The Atkinson-Griffin House Museum is the last stop on the Tebbs Bend Battlefield driving tour. The 1840 Atkinson-Griffin House served as a Confederate hospital after the Battle of Tebbs Bend, where Confederate General John Hunt Morgan began his  raid into Indiana and Ohio on July 4, 1863. Visitors can view artifacts and map of the battle, a Tebbs Bend diorama, Confederate and Federal uniforms, Morgan’ s Men Exhibit featuring photographs of over 130 officers and men, Polk Life Exhibit, and other Civil war memorabilia. The blood stains of soldiers still remain in the floor of an upstairs bedroom. The Atkinson-Griffin House Museum can be viewed at the US Army Corp of Engineers Visitors Center at Green River Lake. Admission: Free Visitors Center and Museum Hours: Open year round. mid April to mid October, open Sunday thru Saturday 7:30 am-5 pm. mid Oct-mid April Monday thru Thursday 7:30 am-5 pm. , Friday 7:30 am-4 pm., closed Saturday and Sunday

    • Tebbs Bend-Green River Bridge Battlefield

      Tebbs Bend-Green River Bridge Battlefield The Battle of  Tebbs Bend, July 4, 1863, was “one of the most outstanding small victories in the Civil War.” John Hunt Morgan, and his dauntless cavalrymen, roamed the countryside of Taylor and surrounding counties in KY, burning Pleasant Hill Church, stockades and bridges, tearing up rail lines, and striking fear into the hearts of Kentuckians, with Union forces in hot pursuit. The “invincible” Morgan met his match in Michigan’s Col. Orlando Moore at the decisive bloody battle of Tebbs Bend, July 4, 1863. To learn more about the Battle of Tebbs Bend order your own signed copy of “Morgan is Coming” written by Campbellsville’s very own historian, teacher and author Betty J. Gorin. Battle of Tebbs Bend Driving Tour Follow the trails of Confederate John Hunt Morgan on this 3 mile driving tour and learn what happened as Morgan and his men passed through the area. The driving tour is open year around and you’ll find 12 stops along the route. Stop in at The Toll Gate House, (1A) on the Tebbs Bend Driving Tour,  serves as a transportation museum showcasing photographs of Taylor County toll houses, toll keepers and some of the rates charged from as far back as the 1800’s. Hiking Trails The Tebbs Bend Green River Nature Trails have over 4 miles of scenic hiking trails. There are two trail heads to these trails. One is located right behind the Toll Gate House at 327 Tebbs Bend Road and the other is  located at the adjacent property of the historical farm, Homeplace on Green River. Maps Battle of Tebbs Bend Driving Tour Map Tebbs Bend Green River Nature Trail Map Trail Maps for Campbellsville, Green River Lake & Taylor County