327 Tebbs Bend Road
The Battle of Tebbs Bend, July 4, 1863, was “one of the most outstanding small victories in the Civil War.” View the wayside markers of this Civil War Battlefield on a 3 mile driving tour.
The driving tour is open year around. Driving tour brochures are available at the Tourism office on 325 E. Main St.
John Hunt Morgan, and his dauntless cavalrymen, roamed the countryside of Taylor and surrounding counties in KY, burning Pleasant Hill Church, stockades and bridges, tearing up rail lines, and striking fear into the hearts of Kentuckians, with Union forces in hot pursuit. The “invincible” Morgan met his match in Michigan’s Col. Orlando Moore at the decisive bloody battle of Tebbs Bend, July 4, 1863. To learn more about the Battle of Tebbs Bend order your own signed copy of “Morgan is Coming” written by Campbellsvilles very own historian, teacher and author Betty J. Gorin.
544 Lake Road
The Atkinson Griffin House is the last stop on the Tebbs Bend Battlefield driving tour.The 1840 Atkinson-Griffin Log House served as a Confederate hospital after the Battle of Tebbs Bend, where Confederate General John Hunt Morgan began his raid into Indiana and Ohio on July 4, 1863. Visitors can view artifacts and map of the battle, a Tebbs Bend diorama, Confederate and Federal uniforms, Morgan’ s Men Exhibit featuring photographs of over 130 officers and men, Polk Life Exhibit, and other Civil war memorabilia. The blood stains of soldiers still remain in the floor of an upstairs bedroom. The Atkinson-Griffin House can be viewed at the US Army Corp of Engineers Visitors Center at Green River Lake.
Visitors Center and Museum Hours: Open year round.
mid April to mid October, open Sunday thru Saturday 7:30 am-5 pm.
mid Oct-mid April Monday thru Thursday 7:30 am-5 pm. , Friday 7:30 am-4 pm., closed Saturday and Sunday
1075 Campbellsville bypass
Hiestand House/Taylor County Museum is an 1813 German stone house containing Taylor County history and antiques. It was one of many homes raided by General John Hunt Morgan during the Civil War. The museum features exquisite hand-tooled masonry work rarely equaled in 18th or 19th century American architecture. One of 12 German stone houses in Kentucky, the Jacob Hiestand House is a significant example of a federal style house. It is surrounded by beautiful gardens, servant quarters and a spring house. A small admission is charged for guided tours. Call for hours of operation.
300 Ingram Avenue
Located behind the Taylor County High School
(270) 465-5410, (270) 465-5106, (270) 465-2055
The one-room Friendship School houses a museum that represents a by-gone era of education. The Friendship School was built in Taylor County about 1918 by residents of the Bengal community. It was located on the farm of Theodore and Ellen Cowherd approximately 8 miles from its present location.
According to Mr. Cowherd who attended Friendship from the first through the eighth grades, two students would sit together at one desk, called a “double-seater.” He recalled attending school from eight to four with the school term running from July through December. At different periods of its existence the class size may have varied from as small as eight to as large as forty students.
The Friendship School now is both a museum and a classroom. It is part of our heritage that will become an important part of our present as well as our future.
All visitors are welcome and encouraged to visit, please call for an appointment.
5807 New Columbia Rd.
The Homeplace on Green River is a 227 acre farm being restored as a permanent reminder for all ages of the role agriculture has played and is continuing to play in the lives of South Central Kentuckians. It has been a working farm for more than 200 years and is listed the National Register of Historic Places. The Homplace on Green River is adjacent to the Tebbs Bend Battlefield and the Tebbs Bend-Green River Nature Area.
Take the walking tour to learn about the farm and the families who lived there or call to schedule a guided tour. A trailhead to the Tebbs Bend Green River Nature Trail is also located at the Homeplace where you can enjoy 4 ½ miles of nature trails.
7426 Old Lebanon Road
Clay Hill Farm was home for many servants whose labors enabled the farm to grow from 300 to more than 4,000 acres in the early 1800’s. During the Civil War it was at times used as refuge for John Hunt Morgan.
Clay Hill Memorial Forest is now a regional center for environmental education and research dedicated to helping people find comfort in nature. The Center, managed by Campbellsville University, brings excellence in science education to the people of the Commonwealth through an amazing array of displays: an alternative energy building, a center for sight-impaired children, a “living wall”, a waste-water purification wetland circuit, a slave cabin & cemetery, a natural cob bench, a pond observation deck & boardwalk, and five miles of trails that are a bird watchers delight.
Clay Hill Memorial Forest has over 5 miles of interpretive trails. Enjoy a self-guided tour and explore the trails leading to a cabin, spring and cemetery that still remain as testimony to the history of servants.