Come Explore Green River Lake!
Green River Lake is a recreational paradise offering 8,210 acres of beauty and excitement!
Two of the county’s eleven campgrounds can be found lakeside, offering adventure-seekers a front row seat to all the recreational opportunities Green River Lake has to offer.
With an average depth of 50 feet and a distance of one mile at its widest point, Green River Lake is a popular destination for fishing, boating and water skiing – with over 50 miles of trails that twist around the picture-perfect spot. Visitors can explore the terrain by hiking, mountain biking, even horseback riding. Looking for a little R&R? Public beaches at Green River Lake State Park Campground and Smith Ridge Recreational Area are a welcome respite on a warm summer day.
Twelve boat ramps are available for public use at Green River Lake, including one at each campground. Three marinas offer full services on the lake, including boat rental, slip rental, gas, bait, fishing gear, and picnicking supplies.
Fishing at Green can be quite rewarding too. Walleye, crappie, white bass, channel catfish, muskie and bluegill are all found in good numbers in the lake. Hunting on the land surrounding Green River Lake is also popular.
Green River Lake Quick Facts
- 8,210 acre lake
- 147 miles of shoreline
- Average depth of 50 feet
- 28 miles from one end to the next and one mile across at its widest point
- 3 full service Marinas on Green River Lake offer all types of boat rentals including paddle boards, kayaks, canoes, jet skis, ski boats, fishing boats and houseboats
- The floating cabins at Green River Marina will accommodate up to eight persons
- Condo rentals at Emerald Isle Marina will accommodate up to eight persons (adjoining units may be requested)
- You complimentary slip rental is provided for your boat when you rent a condo or a floating cabin from the marinas
- Green River Lake State Park and Pikes Ridge Campground are lakeside campgrounds with a total of 289 campsites right on the lake. There are also 10 campgrounds offering over 400 campsites are within minutes of Green River Lake.
- 4 sandy beaches: Green River Lake State Park, Smith Ridge and Holmes Bend beach are all open to the public and no fee is charged. Pikes Ridge Campground also has a sandy beach but it is for registered campers use only.
- Over 50 miles of trails for hiking, biking and horseback riding surround Green River Lake
- 12 Boat ramps allow easy access to the lake. No launch fee is charged at the two ramps at Green River Lake State Park, the Tailwater(river) ramp, Green River Marina, Snake Creek, Butler Creek or Arnold’s Landing. A daily fee is charged to use the following boat ramps: Ramp #1, Holmes Bend, Pikes Ridge, Smith Ridge and Emerald Isle Marina.
- Shopping and Dining only 10 minutes away in Downtown Campbellsville
- 21,037 acres of land in the for hunting deer, turkey quail, squirrel, dove and waterfowl
- Largemouth, Smallmouth and Kentucky bass are common over 5 pounds.
- Walleye have been noted up to 12 pounds
- Crappie average 2 pounds
- Muskie’s also inhibit the waters weighing in at 40 plus pounds
- A Horse Camp is adjacent to 22.5 miles of equestrian trails at Green River Lake State Park
- Picnic Shelters are available to rent for weddings, family reunions, birthdays etc… starting at only $50
- Guided fishing trips are available for crappie and musky
- Hotels and motels are within 10 minutes of the lake
- Pets are welcome in the cabins, condos, boats and most hotels.
The Army Corps of Engineers began construction of a dam on Green River in April 1964 to control flooding and completed the project in June 1969. The dam is 141 feet high and 2,350 feet long. The 8,210-acre Green River Lake has a 147-mile shoreline and covers parts of Adair, Casey, and Taylor Counties.